Licenses & Permits
Licensing is regulated by the Law of the Kyrgyz Republic “On Licensing”. Banks, financial/lending institutions, and other institutions regulated by the National Bank of the Kyrgyz Republic are licensed subject to the Laws of the Kyrgyz Republic “On National Bank of Kyrgyz Republic”, “On Banks and Banking”, normative acts of the National Bank of the Kyrgyz Republic, and other legislation of the Kyrgyz Republic in the part that does not contradict the former.
Licenses are issued on equal conditions and grounds to all persons (including stateless persons), regardless of form of property, agency interests, or business location. The exception is activities related to state monopoly.
Licensing is only needed to engage in activities that are subject to licensing under legislation and are not restricted due to reasons of national security, state monopoly, law enforcement, or protection of the environment, property, life and health of citizens. Under the legislation of the Kyrgyz Republic, the following activities are subject to mandatory licensing:
- The search for, exploration and mining of mineral deposits;
- The design, construction (building) and use of hazardous production facilities;
- Construction of dams on rivers and water reservoirs;
- Hunting and capturing of birds included in the list approved by the government of the Kyrgyz Republic;
- Production and sale of drugs, vaccines and serums, medicines and medical equipment (with the exception of cases provided by legislation), perfumery, cosmetics, and chemicals (with the exception of trade companies selling soap, detergents, perfume and cosmetics on the basis of quality certificates of production companies);
- Production of beer, wine, champagne, liquors, vodka, cognac, and ethanol;
- Private medical and veterinary practice;
- The foundation and operation of gambling establishments, organization of gambling;
- All types of aviation work, acceptance and deployment of civil aircrafts, technical maintenance of aircrafts and their equipment within the territory of the Kyrgyz Republic;
- Urban planning, research and design of residential, public and production premises and structures;
- Construction and assembly jobs, with the exception of construction of individual residential houses;
- Private detective and security services;
- Banking operations, cash exchange transactions with foreign currency, services related to the execution of electronic payments, pawn shop activities, credit union activities, activities of legal entities raising money of individuals on conditions of repayment within an established term with interest;
- Professional activities with securities;
- Insurance activities;
- Activities of non-governmental pension funds;
- Activities in the field of postal and electric communication, data transfer, broadcast of television and radio programs, use of radio frequency specter, including the design, production, construction, and installation of required networks, lines, structures, systems, and facilities, with the exception of communications for use within a production facility
- Trade in alcoholic beverages;
- The production, transfer, distribution, sale of electric power and heating energy and natural gas; oil and natural gas processing;
- Construction of electric power stations, substations and electric power lines;
- Education, regardless of the level of education and form of ownership (with the exception of state education institutions offering pre-school, primary, basic, and secondary education programs);
- Import, development, production and sale of explosive and pyrotechnic materials and substances;
- Production, repair, and trade in weapons and ammunition;
- Mandatory certification works;
- The production and sale of virulent, poisonous, and radioactive substances;
- Utilization, placement, disposal and burial of toxic waste, including radioactive waste
- Transportation (including trans-boundary transportation) of toxic waste;
- Administration of bankruptcy procedures;
- Legal practice (private notary services and advocacy);
- Passenger transportation (with the exception of taxi cabs) and international cargo transportation by trucks, air, water, and railroad (with the exception of special, service and technology transportation, and transportation required for performance of activities for which a respective license has been issued); operation of bus stations;
- Collection and transportation of cash and valuables; and
- Customs-related services (customs transporter, owner of temporary storage facilities, owner of a duty-free shop, customs broker).
Licenses are issued by line ministries, agencies, and other authorized government bodies (licensors) responsible for the supervision of licensed activities. The list of public authorities in charge of licensing is set forth by legislation and by the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic.
Licenses issued in other countries are recognized within the territory of the Kyrgyz Republic when a respective international treaty provides for it.
To obtain a license, an applicant shall submit to the relevant public authority the following documents:
- An application in the established format;
- Documents proving the applicant’s compliance with the respective legal requirements;
- Documents proving payment for application review and license issuance; and
- A copy of the state registration certificate of the legal entity;
Regulations on Licensing Specific Business Activities. All documents submitted for the purposes of obtaining a license shall be duly registered by the licensing authority.
Licenses shall be issued within one month from the date of application on the basis of payment. The cost of a license may not exceed 3 calculation units (300 soms, which, as of September 2007, equals approximately $8). In case of license re-issuance payment is charged in the amount of one statutory rate.